Monday, August 24, 2009

Why I train



Today's post (I really don't like the word blog - sorry whoever came up with that but I just don't like it!) is taken from my weekly Team in Training coach's email:




I RUN

I run because I am not a scientist and cannot help by research and experiments.

I run because I am not a doctor and cannot help my administering treatments and medicines.

I run because I am not a celebrity and cannot appear on TV or posters to ask for contributions.

I run because I am not wealthy and cannot donate large sums of money for research or to help families.

I run because I know loved ones are still dying from blood cancers.

I run because I am a mother who cannot imagine what I would do if one of my children got sick.

I run because the little girl pictured above was diagnosed with Leukemia last October and I want with all my heart to make her well.

Her name is Leah. She's 2 years old. Will you run for her? Will you support me as I run for her?

Ok so now I need to comment on this. The little girl I mention above is from my kids' preschool. Her older sister (who is 6) was in my son's class when they were both 3. The mom was pregnant when the two of them were in school together. Last October she discovered her daughter Leah had leukemia. She is only 2. My daughter is named Leah and she just turned 4. Every time I see her Leah I am so thankful that my Leah is healthy and I feel so horrible that her Leah is not. Little Leah is doing better than before but she has undergone so many treatments already. She has a port in her chest so that she can get monthly treatments now. But she is a smiley little girl. Her hair is starting to grow in. I am so happy that she is a happy little girl. And I am so thankful that my own children are well. But I feel so helpless. So I run.

I hope you follow my journey and support me as I run my first half-marathon.

I run because I can.



4 comments:

  1. Brutal, painful, and honest. I was just about to post this on my Twitter profile. It seems fitting for you as well.... "You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want." (Zig Ziglar) Keep up your hard work Lucy. It is all for good, even when it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Adam. I always appreciate your words of encouragement (my trainer on my shoulder.) Are we running in Jamaica? On the beach? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered how it must have felt for you to know another little Leah was going through so much. I didn't realize her sister and Jonah were classmates.

    Love the picture of you with your mum. Look forward to seeing you at training Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For sure on the running in Jamaica. We will be missing two Saturday long runs here, so will need to get in what we can... I really want to run the beach!

    ReplyDelete