Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm going to Disney World

When I talked to my friend Ali about Team in Training earlier this year it was with the thought that I would run the Disney half-marathon as my first half-marathon. Then as a couple more friends joined TnT we decided we would do the Miami ING together. This felt like a good idea because I would be running (and walking) my first event with friends - friends that I would train with over the next 5 months. And I wouldn't have to travel. It made sense...

Then I went to my first group training and a few things were on my mind...a few people in my pace group said that were training for the Disney event and I was so jealous and envious and wistful. And my friend Meri that I was at training with was in a totally different group (I am a run/walker right now and she is one of those run/runners that I have heard about). So I ran with new people...and it was bonding even though it was just a 30 minute training session and not even an actual event. I can't imagine the actual event.

Ok so some seeds were planted. There were a few already there. My shoulder coach (named not because he teaches me how to do lat pulldowns and such but because he is like a little virtual running coach on my shoulder) and his wife are signed up for the Disney marathon. It would sure be nice to be working towards the same goal. He is a great motivator. And I need that if I am going to go from 1 mile to 13.1 miles in 5 months time.

But my biggest seeds were planted long ago. The best family times growing up were mostly at Disney World. I know, many people have great times at Disney. That's why it is the greatest family vacation destination in the world. But my dad travelled most of the year - year after year. So my mum would plan our family times to be at Disney (we lived on Long Island most of my youth). Not only was the family together but my mother was happy and relaxed and we would have the best times. We went twice a year normally. Then we ended up moving to Orlando in the 80s and my brother and I got jobs at Disney. I would go even on my days off. (Hey, it was free!)

One day in the late 90s my parents got very ill and we didn't go to the Parks anymore. It was too much for them and who had time when so much time was spent at doctor's offices and hospitals. Then my dad passed away and I think we all realized how quickly time went by. One such person was my boyfriend (he was so much more than that really). He took me and my mum (and his young son and even my brother and sister in law and baby nephew) on a boat in the Seven Seas Lagoon in front of the Magic Kingdom one evening in May of 2000. And as the fireworks blasted in the sky and Tinkerbell "flew" through the air, he got down on one knee (it was still a good knee back then) and he changed my life. He made me one of the happiest women on earth. My mother was the other one.

Anyway...I am sure I will go on and on another time...but my point tonight is that I am going to Disney World and in so many ways I am going home.

Please follow my journey as I raise money for leukemia and go from a non-runner to someone who can do a half-marathon.

Lucy Lubin
http://pages.teamintraining.org/sfl/wdw10/llubin

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wide world of running and writing. I will pretend to be an old salt. We are stoked that you will be running in Disneyworld. I know you have personal reasons for the choice, but we are excited to get to celebrate together at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, I got goose bumps reading the above. My family and I have also had the same relationship with Disney World , though we haven't been as often. And I'm sure one of the reasons they would cite for the good times there is that "Mom is happy and relaxed". I love traveling with my family , but being at DisneyWorld is a true 100% "off duty" vacation for me! The only thing I do that resembles "work" when we're down there is laundry.
    And even that is relaxing! I just drag the laundry down to the laundry center which is always by a nice pool, bring my book and a cool drink and have some quiet "me" time.
    I will be eagerly following your progress and I so admire what you're doing. What a beautiful woman you have grown up to be - inside and out!
    And of course , a donation will be following soon.....xoxox

    ReplyDelete