Sunday, August 16, 2009

Running (and walking) with the pack

Yesterday was my very first training session with Team in Training. I was amazed how many people were out on a Saturday morning at 6:45 to run or walk for this cause. I am usually still in bed with either my son or my daughter crawling into bed with me and my husband...and trying to get just a few more minutes of sleep. But yesterday, I had my water and my running shoes and I was ready to run. We stretched, we talked, we got in pace groups (mine is a 3-1 which means I run for 3 minutes then walk for 1 over and over for 30 minutes). Then we were off. Out of Town Center and down Bonaventure to Royal Palm. Quite a few cars out - where do all these people go on Saturday morning? Work maybe or to the gym or to Starbucks....must not think of Starbucks as that is later...

I ran (and walked) with a pack of about 6 people. I found myself running most of the time next to a lovely lady who had run a marathon a year ago and had not run since. I was at the training with a friend (but she is a runner - no walking stuff for her!) but I found myself gaining strength from a stranger. It was only 30 minutes but we are strangers no more.

I take part because I want to help raise money for leukemia. My parents lost their battles with cancer in 2000 and I feel like I can take control of something (anything) to do with cancer by training for this half marathon. I do it for those that are still battling and hopefully will win.

I hope you will come back and see how my journey goes. Mine is a journey that is emotional and spiritual and physical. I hope you will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment